Thursday, January 29, 2009

e85 ethanol conversion for your old car

E85 Ethanol Conversion - For Your Old CarWriten by David Atkin

Ive heard that it cant be done for the old cars, but I myself have proven that theory wrong, back in the 1980s I ran alcohol in my 1969 Z/28 Camaro, and in a 1972 GMC truck, yes I did have to make some mods to run it, such as the jetting on the carburetor had to be leaned out a bit, any rubber parts need to be replaced with urethane, or something that the alcohol wont eat, at that time I had to have the parts built for the carburetor, and you need to run aircraft quality fuel lines, or change all your fuel lines to steel ones.

Nothing is impossible, that is the point that Im trying to make here, its not a simple one afternoon ordeal to do this job, it will take some planning, call up Jegs, and tell them that youd like to covert your car to E85, Ill bet they can help you with the parts that you need, they have a very knowledgeable tech staff working for them, and their always glad to answer questions about their products.

E85 is a great idea, and its a good way to keep driving your old car, and still not worry about the environment, it will bring down your cars emissions greatly, its an all around cleaner burning better running fuel for any car, it just needs to be made more available to the public, and I think that will be coming soon, with the way that gas prices are going, you can buy a carburetor these days thats set up for alcohol, it makes the whole job a lot easier.

I've been in the automotive business for about 20 or 25 years, I have worked in all facets of the industry, from parts to restoration, all different makes and models, I just want to keep people interested in the old cars because it's where my heart is.


  • Muscle Car Restoration



  • Auto Shop Locator



  • Project Cars For Sale